Breakfast Sweet Dalia (Cracked Wheat Porridge)
Sweet Dalia (Cracked Wheat Porridg
Sweet dalia is a simple breakfast made of cracked wheat porridge with milk that comes together in less than 20 minutes.

### Jump to:
- Is Dalia the Same as Bulgur?
- Is It Healthy?
- How to Make Sweet Dalia?
- Suggested Toppings
- More Pakistani Breakfast Ideas
- Sweet Dalia Recipe (Cracked Wheat Porridge)
Get updates on the latest posts and more from Pakistan Eats: Classic Pakistani Recipes straight to your inbox.
I avoided porridge as a child. In a bid to become healthier (see [healthy recipe roundup](link_here)), I finally started eating oats after moving to Manila, but I never grew to like them. While my friend Kathryn’s delightful post on creamy oatmeal and Izzah's recent post on sweet oatmeal have helped, it took me swapping out oats for dalia or cracked wheat to finally enjoy my breakfast porridge.
When I called my mother for the dalia recipe, she reminded me that our family in Islamabad switched to oats long ago. Original dalia is made of cracked wheat, a whole wheat grain. If you, like me, are trying to reduce refined carbohydrates, having dalia for breakfast is a great way to incorporate more whole grains into your diet.
Is Dalia the Same as Bulgur?
They are similar – both are forms of whole wheat. Bulgur has been cleaned, parboiled, dried, and ground before packaging. Dalia, on the other hand, is raw. The Denver Post describes dalia as “whole raw wheat berries that have been milled into smaller pieces.” In appearance, they look the same.

Is It Healthy?
Yes! A pet peeve of mine is people who don’t eat carbs. I’m opposed to diets like keto. While they may be effective for short-term weight loss, they run contrary to good nutrition principles. I advocate incorporating more whole grains into your diet. Oats, barley, bulgur, dalia, millet, quinoa, and farro are all great additions to your pantry.
How to Make Sweet Dalia?
Dalia can be made both sweet and savory. In a non-scientific Instagram survey, it was fun to learn how many of my followers incorporated dalia in richly spiced goat curries (delicious!). In my family, we had a sweetened version that I’m going to share with you.
1. Roast the dalia on high heat: Since dalia is an uncooked form of whole wheat, it requires a two-part cooking process. The first step is roasting. I like to add a couple of cracked cardamom pods to enhance the fragrance.
[More steps and details about the cooking process...]
Suggested Toppings
- Fresh fruits
- Nuts and seeds
- Honey or maple syrup
- Spices like cinnamon or nutmeg
Sweet Dalia Recipe (Cracked Wheat Porridge)
[Recipe card with ingredients and detailed instructions




Comments
Post a Comment